Eden Mills & District Community Club
The village was founded in 1842 with the construction of the first of three mills. The mills owed their existence to the water power generated by the Eramosa River, which splits into two branches at the village then flows on to join the Speed River in Guelph, and finally to the Grand, the great Canadian Heritage River.
During the nineteenth and early part of the twentieth century Eden Mills grew into an important centre of commerce. In addition to its three mills, it boasted an imposing three-storey general store, a hotel (both still standing), post office, black-smith, electric railway station, gas station and coffee shop. The passing of the importance of rivers for power led in turn to a by-passing of the village. The fortunate result is that much of its historical character and natural setting remain intact. Sixth generation families still mingle with newer arrivals, passing on the local lore and traditions.
In May 2018 a group of villagers mounted a "walking performance" to share some stories from the past. Watch a short video...can you see the same locations in our slide show? Watch video.